Monday, July 6, 2009

Happy Birthday to the Dalai Lama


Today is the Dalai Lama's birthday which is fitting that it is so close to our independence day. Part of finding inner peace is finding independence from attachments to material things. Also, to remind ourselves of the importance of love and compassion and to be our true selves is definitely worth contemplation and celebration.

I tried to remind myself today to be an embodiment of compassion towards all sentient beings. Then, I saw the new Transformers movie and found myself being judgmental! The actress, Megan Fox, was dressing in a way that I thought was overkill and her lips were obviously surgically enhanced. My inner feminist was coming out and I became judgmental of her. Love and compassion sounds easy, but it takes time to spiritually evolve and deal with our human flaws. I will continue this journey and not beat myself up about it too much--got to have compassion for myself as well!! The picture above is a statue of bodisattva of compassion taken at the National Gallery in Washington DC.

I send out love and compassion to all sentient beings and pray for the greatest good for all sentient beings everywhere. Happy Birthday, Dalai Lama!!

1 comment:

  1. Totally cool how you can see the reflection of you taking the picture :-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments very welcome and appreciated!!