Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Seeing in Black and White (and Shades of Gray)


Two of my passions are psychology and literature which makes it no surprise that I am a "gray" person. To me, practically nothing is black and white; everything has a caveat or multiple caveats--nothing is simple. This characteristic is a strength and a weakness at times; even not being black and white is not black and white!!

When it comes to the visual arts, though, there is great value in black and white. I love black and white ink drawings and black and white photos. There is something in the colorlessness that is attracting and provocative, if done right. Some of the most beautiful photographs I have seen have been black and white. I am not sure why this is but it is definitely something I want to explore in terms of photography and drawing. As I do, I will share it in my gallery blog.

I am a little behind on putting my art in my blog gallery because I have not really created art lately. Life has been chaotic due to birthdays. Many people I care about have birthdays at the end of June and beginning of July. I ate enough birthday cake to cover me for ten years!

I put a black and white version of a previously posted flower that I took in my friend's backyard. Also, as I have mentioned before, I love mandalas. There is an artist who has done really wonderful black and white mandalas; that website for those interested is mandalazone.com. I came across this website through googling mandalas--which I recommend anyone to do because so many wonderful websites come up!!

1 comment:

  1. interesting post Sol. I like your thoughts on this. can't wait to see your art.

    ReplyDelete

Comments very welcome and appreciated!!